This past year has taken me on a journey that led to a planned collaboration about the life and death of Tupac Shakur. The original idea was to write a book detailing the most common story told, related to Compton Crips and Bloods.
When the idea took light, I wanted to interview some key players involved in the Compton Tupac story. I was hoping to get deeper into what happened that fatal evening in 1996 on the Las Vegas Strip.
However, getting in touch with the main player was impossible. According to rumors in the South Side section of Compton, CA, he’s been diagnosed with cancer. So, I guess he’s no longer walking the streets aimlessly with no direction… as he was the last time I saw him on my Granny’s porch in 2017.
Who Is Keefe D from South Side Compton Crips?
That man’s name is Duane Keith Davis AKA Keefe D. He was once a self-proclaimed kingpin of the South Side Compton Crips. Today, he’s a battered-looking man, with a missing tooth and very little access to hood funds.
So, why did it take him 20 years to finally tell “the truth” about the killing of Tupac? Well, this is his answer:
People have been pursuing me for 20 years, I’m coming out now because I have cancer, and I have nothing else to lose. All I care about now is the truth.
However, to be clear, he’s been telling this story for years now. He gave police his account of the night Tupac was killed years ago. This was back when he was facing 25-years-to-life in prison for a drug case, the kingpin’s specialty.
Here are the main reasons why many people never took Keefe’s story seriously:
- For one, the man he was accusing of actually pulling the trigger, his nephew Orlando Anderson AKA Baby Lane, was already dead. He had been killed in an “unrelated” shootout in Compton.
- Secondly, rumor has it that Keefe D would have told the cops just about anything to get out of going to prison. He named so many names in his “confession,” the story just seemed unreal.
- Thirdly, this story was like espionage in Compton. It was just too wild to be true for most people. It involved P Diddy, a hit and a million dollars that was never paid.
What Is Keefe D’s Story About the Killing of Tupac Shakur?
The story Keefe D originally told police is a bit complicated. Let me try to break it down as simply as possible:
- P Diddy, who is somehow related (or involved with) South Side Compton Crips is put in touch with Keefe D through a SSCC named Zip
- Puff Daddy needs a car to use in Usher’s first video and ends up using Keefe D’s brown 64 Chevy
- Puffy offers to pay Keefe D $1 million dollars to kill 2Pac and Suge Knight
- The money was never received so Keefe D went on with his life
- Pac and the Death Row crew see Orlando Anderson AKA Baby Lane in the MGM Grand Casino in Las Vegas after a Mike Tyson fight
- Still pumped up about an alleged Lakewood, CA mall incident where Baby Lane supposedly robbed a Death Row man for his expensive DR brand chain, Pac and crew stomp Baby Lane on the casino floor
- Later, Keefe D, Baby Lane and two others were on their way to Club 662, which was owned by Suge Knight at the time
- Coincidentally, they spot Suge and Pac in a car together on the Strip
- Instantly, Keefe D remembers the hit P Diddy put out on Pac and came up with the bright idea to go ahead with the hit on Pac to get paid the $1 million
- They make a u-turn and pull up on the side of the car carrying Pac and Suge
- As Baby Lane is getting more and more irate, Keefe D tries to pass the gun to someone in the backseat who insisted he was NOT going to kill Tupac Shakur
- Baby Lane grabs the gun, who was sitting behind the passenger, Keefe D, reaches over the guy behind the driver and starts shooting out the window at Tupac’s side of the car
- Keefe D claims he called P Diddy and Biggie’s wife Faith Evans to let the know the job was done (Tupac had made a video-taped statement to directed at Biggie insinuating that he’s slept with Faith Evans)
- Suge was said to have looked Keefe D right in his face, who he knew from going to school together
- So, Suge hires Compton Piru Wardell ‘Poochie’ Fouse to kill Biggie Smalls for just $13,000
- Poochie attends the same party as Biggie in Los Angeles, CA and later shoots and kills him in a California drive-by style shooting
- Eventually, it’s discovered that Puffy had indeed paid half ($500,000) to Zip, who never gave it to the rightful “hitman” being Keefe D
NOTE: Both Baby Lane and Poochie are dead. So, there’s no one to support or deny Keefe D’s claims.
The Gun That Killed Tupac Shakur
Sounds far-fetched? Well, here’s what Keefe D told police:
He leaned over, and Orlando rolled down the window, and popped him. If they would have drove on my side, I would have popped them. But they was on the other side.
It’s important to note that the gun “believed” to be the murder weapon was just two years after Tupac’s murder. A man reportedly called police to report he’d found a gun in his backyard.
Not only was the home in Compton, but it was the home of the girlfriend of a South Side Compton Crip, who had beef with the Dear Mama rap superstar.
Somehow, the gun ended up in the custody of the FBI, who said it was the .40 caliber Glock 22 pistol that killed Pac. However, the story gets sketchy after that.
Supposedly, Las Vegas Metro tested the gun and said it was not a match. Yet, now Vegas says they never saw or tested it. And the Compton Sheriff swears it was sent.
So, who really knows?
Keefe D, Please Talk to Me
My goal was to reach out to this man who walked up to my Granny’s porch and called me by my family nickname. I was hoping to tell the story from a different angle. But, like I said, he’s no longer roaming around the neighborhood for me to bump into these days.
And everyone I reach out to either LITERALLY doesn’t even want to hear his name or they are protecting him for some reason.
Now that I know he has cancer, I believe I understand the empathy of those protecting him. But why are they okay with him doing interviews with the big press?
It amazes me that he’s willing to share it with all these strangers… specifically men who are in NO WAY connected to Tupac, Hip Hop, Compton or him. Yet, he won’t give a Black woman FROM Compton and the Hip Hop generation the time of day.
Is it all about the money?
Video: Listen as Cops Explain Exactly Who Murdered Biggie & Tupac
In these tapes related to the deaths of Pac and Big, cops insist the Baby Lane shot 2Pac and Poochie shot Notorious BIG.
Lane was killed at a Compton car wash during a shootout near Compton High School on Alondra Boulevard and Oleander Avenue. The 23-year-old was pronounced dead at King/Drew Medical Center in Willowbrook, CA on May 29, 1998.
Poochie was riding his motorcycle through Compton when someone shot him in the back in July 2003. Rumor has it his death was related to a beef between the Mob and the Fruit Towns.
The Tupac Journey: What’s the Story About?
So, the focus of the book has completely changed. Through research, analysis and much prayer, my collaborator and I transformed the focus of the entire project.
Our approach takes us through a journey that ties the death of Tupac Shakur to the West Coast Gangs, specifically the gangs of Compton, CA.
Because, at the end of the day, even if the P Diddy hit story is too far-fetched for you, it was still the life of a Compton M.O.B. Piru gangster that took the life of 2Pac.
It’s this lifestyle, with the help of the infamous Marion ‘Suge’ Knight and Death Row Records that transformed Pac from an inspiring, moving Hip Hop artist from Oakland, CA to a hard-core gangster rapper claiming Compton, CA.
The goal is to show the downfall of artists like 2Pac, and the downright stupidity of singers like Chris Brown, who come to the Los Angeles streets to make good music, and end up as wanna-be gangsters.
Video: Fruit Town Piru Bloods Tell Soulja Boy He Is NOT from the Hood
The Fruit Towns took to Twitter to let the world, and Soulja Boy, know that the rapper is NOT a Compton gangbanger.
At This Point, Does It Really Matter Who Killed Tupac Shakur?
It’s mind-boggling how many superstars, and non-celebrities as well, come from all over the country to cities like Inglewood, Los Angeles and Compton for better lives… just to end up as GANGBANGERS.
According to the Keefe D story, both Pac and Biggie Smalls AKA Notorious BIG were victims of gang violence on some level.
Tupac, through his ties to Death Row and the Devil in a Red Suit, was most definitely from the Compton Mob Pirus. And if the story is true, P Diddy had family ties to the South Side Compton Crips (SSCC).
Supposedly, that’s how he was connected with Keefe D, a SSCC, to hire him as the Tupac’s hit man.
And why in the world would a world-renowned Hip Hop star like Chris Brown be sucked into such a violent lifestyle? For some reason, he chose an area of Compton to shoot a music video.
The next thing we knew, Chris Brown was claiming Compton Tree Top Pirus. It seems this association made C Breezy feel empowered somehow. But the truth is, to the Tree Tops, his “association” is a mere joke.
According to the streets, for them, it’s all about the money and the fame the superstar could bring to them and the community. So, given the right circumstances (or the wrong ones), Kid Indigo could end up a casualty of a Compton gangster battle at any time… just like Biggie and Tupac (allegedly).
Video: Fruit Town Pirus Speak on Chris Brown & Soulja Boy Claiming Their Set
Both men and women from this Compton Piru gang say no one cares about Soulja Boy or Chris Brown. They say these celebrities “F with n1gg@s from the hood,” but they are NOT from the hood.
They say these celebs get “passes” because of their affiliations. But as Compton rapper Kendrick Lamar says in King’s Dead:
You’re not a gang member, you’s a tourist… a tourist!
Get Exclusive Tupac Journey Project Updates
Want to learn more about the project? I’d love for you to share this journey with me. Hopefully, this book idea will transform into a documentary that brings value to the lives of its viewers.
Join my Patreon community for EXCLUSIVE ACCESS to project updates, surveys, polls, unpublished content, interviews and more, only for my Patreon community members!
Become a sounding board for new ideas and progress reports that will only be shared with EXCLUSIVE MEMBERS. Help us shape the direction of the story.
[maxbutton id=”1″ ]